Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Week two

So, I don't have quite as much to say this week, as promised. It has been extremely difficult for me to keep track of my complaint-stopping abilities. In fact, I haven't actually made any written tallies of when I've been able to stop myself, even though I know I have. It is difficult to pull out my planner and mark it down every time I stop myself from complaining, but I'm just going to have to start doing it since I haven't been able to figure out any other way to keep track. It's just too hard to see if I'm reaching my goal without having the numbers right in front of me. I know I have slipped a few times, which is to be expected since I'm basically counting every negative thing that comes out of my mouth as a complaint. I am going to have to consciously think before I speak if I want to stop myself every time. As Nicole mentioned on my last post, complaining really is used frequently in social communication. I am noticing this so much more since I've started this project. There are many times where I've wanted to open up a new conversation with a small complaint (this is where it's difficult for me to state something I'm grateful for in place of the complaint - it seems out of place to START a conversation that way!). I think the purpose of this is just to initiate conversation by saying something that someone else can probably relate to.

Alright, I apologize for this being somewhat of an empty post, but I will try and work on keeping track over the next week, so I have more concrete data to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment