Monday, May 21, 2012

Healthy changes

Let me just talk about being healthy for a second. When it comes to the fitness side of being healthy, I've pretty much got it down. I have put fitness into my schedule so that I go consistently to the gym or do something at home 4-5 times a week. For example, last week:
Sunday: Off
Monday: A workout from Women's Health Big Book of Exercises
Tuesday: Two a day workout at the Y (another workout from Women's Health Big Book of Exercises plus Kix class)
Wednesday: The run that I wrote about in my last blog entry
Thursday: Athena's Circuit Training class at the Y (an outdoor bootcamp-like workout)
Friday: TRX class at the Y
Saturday: off

I tend to take my weekends off from the gym, but this usually leads to eating unhealthy as well. Now, I try my best to make healthy eating choices regularly, but I don't believe in depriving myself completely of things that I love. I personally have a big sweet tooth and almost never say no to dessert. Because of this, I try to make most of my meals and snacks healthy, so I can indulge in a little dessert a few (or a bunch of) times a week. Because I am discussing personal change on here and eating healthy is something I constantly struggle with, I will often be documenting some of my healthier choices that I'm proud of making :) I will probably also share some of the delicious baked goods that I make often (usually about once a week). When I indulge in sweets, I like to make it really worth it by having it be homemade!

So, this sunday, I proposed to Bret that we make a little egg scramble/omelet out of some of our leftover veggies. Another couple of big changes I'm trying to work on are not letting produce go bad and improvising meals with things I have lying around. In terms of improvising, I have gotten a lot of good inspiration from my friend Jen's blog, NutcaseinPoint. In my opinion, she is the master of using whatever she has on hand - something this type-A recipe follower is really trying to work on! So, we had broccoli and spinach to use up. We also had goat cheese, parmesan-reggiano cheese, and cheddar cheese curds. I opted for broccoli and goat cheese (I don't like TOO much in my omelets). I was feeling really guilty about not also using spinach because we had a lot left, but I'm not the biggest fan of cooked spinach. Then, I had the genius idea of whipping up a little smoothie with the spinach, using my new Magic Bullet. I also just bought Vanilla Whey protein powder that I needed to try out. So, I blended 2 handfuls of spinach with one scoop of protein powder, 2 scoops of chocolate ovaltine powder, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, and 1 cup of almond milk (inspiration from NutcaseinPoint.) Bret and I split it and it was sooooo yummy. It probably wasn't THAT low in calories, but it had lots of protein from the peanut butter and protein powder and it was a good way to get in a serving of greens (something I'm not great at since I'm not a huge salad fan).

Here's a picture of my meal for you:
 The smoothie was a little green from the spinach, but I couldn't taste it at all! I'll be trying lots of new smoothie recipes with the Magic Bullet so, look out!

Are you good at improvising with ingredients? What are your tricks for using up produce before it goes bad? Any good smoothie recipes you want to share?

2 comments:

  1. I like to hide my greens in a pesto-like sauce! Blend up a few generous handfulls of spinach or kale with a big handfull of basil, a couple cloves of garlic, and some olive oil. Put some parmesan on top and you can't even taste the spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip, Sara! I will have to try that with my new magic bullet!

    ReplyDelete