Monday, November 23, 2009

Week eleven

Well I haven't been very good at keeping track of my complaining on paper over the past week. Plus the week has really gone by in a blur so it's hard for me to think back! Well, I do remember that I had one day last week where I had a really bad day and didn't feel well, so I had a little break down and had to be comforted by Bret. Sometimes I feel like those days are necessary to just get it all out, and it really did make me feel better afterwards...plus Bret was able to remind me that it was just a bad day and not a reflection of me as a person or anything. Sometimes we just have to be reminded of those things. I had a really productive weekend where I was, once again, able to just put my head down and plow through what needed to be done with no complaining.
There have definitely been a few instances lately where I've had to practice helping other people to think more positively. This has really been difficult for me because I don't want it to sound like I'm not giving them the space they need to "vent" - as I mentioned above, sometimes it's necessary to just let it all out in order to feel better. I feel like this will be a really important skill for me to continue to practice and get better at for counseling because I know it will be necessary for me to listen to client's problems and allow them to feel that it's okay to have those feelings, but I'll also have to push them in the right direction to think positively and take responsibility for their progress. Maybe this is something that would be beneficial to discuss during the next Counseling seminar?

No comments:

Post a Comment